After 40 industrious years, my dad just retired from a career in law. To celebrate, our parents decided to buy monthly passes to a swimming pool, a well-deserved gift for them. Now every day, even in the winter, they go to the swimming pool to have fun there. My parents are not that old. They know how to use an iPhone or iPad. That’s why I bought them this waterproof case for their smart devices to help keep them entertained during each hot tub session. It works perfectly; all parts remain completely sealed while the touchscreen is still operational.
Since the earphone input is secured by the waterproof case, I immediately understood that the answer to this conundrum might lie with Waterproof Bluetooth headphones. After researching, I saw a lot of these devices on the market, and many are good for both Android or iOS phones, and some even have good performance with Windows phone as well. And today, Windows is becoming more popular. Here are my top eight choices. I already picked one of them for my dad’s birthday after accounting for features like sound audio quality, comfort, price and water-resistance.
Noted: If you are looking for waterproof in-ear headphones only, see our pick for the earbud headphones.
1. Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Headphones (IPX7 Standard)
JLab Epic Bluetooth 4.0
This is the most interesting design of all the Bluetooth headphones I have seen. The Backbeat has excellent marks for comfort due to the flexible band. It works perfectly with the waterproof function. I had some concerns about their durability if it was repeatedly put underwater or was underwater for a long time. And of course, they also performed well in the rain, for sports, for runners, for bikers, and even when hiking.
Bluetooth is the common technology used in many wireless headphones. It’s a technology that works by digitally encoding audio frequencies and later transmitting the sound wirelessly over a short range. Bluetooth is a stable and reliable technology that has seen use in most laptops, smartphones and tablets. It comes embedded in these devices. To connect any two devices, say the headphones and a smartphone, all you need is a simple synchronize which is quick and straightforward.
- Comfort – Pretty comfortable to wear even when you are doing vigorous activity. The headphones stayed in place for hours and did not hurt my ears. These are also waterproof, sweatproof and washable. Just wipe them off after you’re done and they’re good to go.
When you are doing your jumping jacks or push-ups, a stable in-ear headphone will not distract your focus. However, if it is wobbly and keep falling off, you might not be able to perform your exercise routines as you will have to readjust the ear tips
- Sound Quality – Sound is awesome; it’s just superb. This is the highlight of these headphones. The audio is rich and clean and the bass is one of the best I’ve ever heard so far.
- Battery Life – Battery life lasted all day, although I did take breaks in between to let my ears breathe.
Final Verdict: Good waterproof bluetooth headphones when you are exercising, stable and did not budge or move in my ears. They boast C3 technology which stands for Crystal Clear Clarity. These headphones are perfect for audiophiles looking for budget earphones that deliver clear music, and at the same time, keep up with you during your exercise sessions. I spent a good three hours trekking the woods and not once did I experience any issue with connectivity or any lapse in the sound, even when taking phone calls.
2. Sony Walkman NWZW273S 4 GB Waterproof Sports MP3 Player (Certified IPX8 standards)
|The Runner Up
Sony Walkman NWZW273S
- Design: 7.5
- Sound Quality: 8.5
- Features: 7.5
- Value: 8.0
Sony Walkman waterproof up to 2m, sound good and clear.No Wires Needed.
- Solid quality form, slick sound interface, no lack of modes, simple music transfer and administration, straightforward guidelines.
- These are surprisingly comfortable. I thought it would slip off the moment I started running but they didn’t.
- Good sound quality since this came from Sony, although they are not as rich as the JLab earphones.
- Lasted a good seven hours or so while I was doing my usual activities for the day.
- Excruciatingly poor/non-existent sound quality in the water, awkward fit, hinders swim gear (cap/goggles), price is a tad high, particularly when considering that it scarcely works in the pool.
Final Verdict: What I like about these waterproof Bluetooth headphones are that they are submersible and will still work even after a good swim. Take note to not use them in saltwater or go beyond two meters. Downside is that these do not have Bluetooth features and can’t pick up calls. If you are looking for a Bluetooth headphone then skip this one. This is an MP3 player with a built-in 4GB memory capacity. Many people have mistaken this product to have Bluetooth capability, but it doesn’t. Always check and double-check the details.
I was eager to peruse this item’s presentation at CES 2013, and restlessly anticipated for it to land on Amazon. Give me a chance to first say that I view myself as a transitional swimmer; in the pool three to five times each week, working a mixed bag of diverse schedules and routines. I have never attempted using submerged earphones previously, mainly in light of the fact that they are all either: A) excessively exorbitant or B) poorly evaluated. Then again, the value point is 4GB worth of music space, and Sony’s marketing spoke to me enough to take the plunge with this “waterproof” walkman.
3.JLab Epic Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sports Earbuds (IPX4 Rated)
One of the best things about Jlab is you can connect via Bluetooth and also have the controls on your ears – so easy to use. These headphones are also integrated with a microphone, and have very good sound quality, even underwater. The design is comfortable for your ears, however you may need some adjustment for it to fit. The buds are nice, light and flat. I have tested them with most kinds of music – pop, rock, etc. It is really good so far.
Versatility: These are said to be sweatproof and waterproof, meaning you can immerse these in water, just make sure it’s within the guidelines. What I also like about this is it has a built-in microphone that you can use to answer calls and it puts the music on hold. With the Bluetooth, I can easily pair it with any device in just a couple of seconds. No loose connections or distortions as long as you are within the 20 meter range. Music is clear and crisp, even underwater, and audios are even better.
To make it easy for you, see this comparison table for the first top five headphones:
|JLab Epic Wireless Sports Earbuds||IPX4 , Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Sony Walkman NWZW273S 4 GB Waterproof Sports MP3 Player||IPX8 , Yes, up to 2 meters||Yes||Yes|
|Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Headphones||Water Resistant IPX7||Yes||Yes|
|TROND® Edge Bluetooth 4.0 Sweatproof Sport Headphones||IPX4 Rated||Yes||Yes|
|Francois et Mimi Elite 4.1||Water Resistant IPX4 Standard||Yes||Yes|
4. TROND® Edge Bluetooth 4.0 Sweatproof Sport Headphones, (IPX4 Standard)
TROND Edge Bluetooth 4.0
- Design: 7.5
- Sound Quality: 8
- Features: 7.5
- Value: 7.8
This headphones is best in term of durable. And design to stay under the water.
The sound is really great and the price is a little higher, but definitely worth getting. These waterproof Bluetooth headphones are very easy to use and helpful on long swims. I have used it for three or four months, and use it every day. The battery life is long, the sound quality is pretty good, the ear tips are comfortable, but the price at $89 is quite expensive.
Comfort: The headphones never got dislodged while I was using it for swimming or during my daily activities. For swimming, I usually tuck it under my swimming cap for extra measure. It’s also very comfortable even when I am just relaxing or working out, and it didn’t irritate my ears. It comes with three pairs of soft ear pads ranging from small to large. I am using the medium ones and they fit perfectly.
Conclusion: If you are looking for great waterproof headphones, then give these a try. I totally recommend them.
5. Francois et Mimi Elite 4.1 Headphones (IPX4 Standard)
Built with the latest CSR 4.1 technology, Francois et Mimi Elite 4.1 Headphones are sure to turn a lot of heads. Compatible with almost all tablets and smartphones that use Bluetooth, these vibrantly colored headphones are lightweight, stylish, waterproof, and have an operating distance of about five metres, which makes them just about perfect to carry for your morning run or exercise regimen.
- The headphones come with a charger and a manual to get you started.
- The device itself is quite easy to use. Each earphone is reinforced with an earlobe loop and stays securely in your ear, even during a jog. The “around the ear hook” might seem cumbersome at first, but it really isn’t. It easily provides for a stabilizing fit, which in return, ensures an enjoyable and hassle-free experience.
- Three sizes of earbuds are provided with the package for a perfect fit. There is also a clip to attach to your shirt if needed.
- The interface is quite user-friendly and is equipped with a volume and channel control.
- The sound is extremely clear with a strong bass and does not have any static or feedback.
- The battery takes about an hour to charge and can last a good eight hours.
- One noticeable drawback of this device is the absence of a mic, so you cannot use it for calling.
- Additionally, if your ear is a bit smaller than the average size, you will have to readjust the earpiece once in a while.
- The sound quality also tends to deteriorate if you move away from your Bluetooth device.
All in all, the quality of this earphone is comparable to a much more expensive headset, and it’s perfect for listening to music, watching videos or walking – well, pretty much all forms of physical activity.
6. Sony Sbh70 Water-Proof Sports Bluetooth Headset with NFC (IP57 Standard)
- Sound Quality: 8.5
- Features: 8.5
- Value: 8
Sony Sbh70 Water resistant Sports Bluetooth Headset
Sony Sbh70 headphones is good for running, waterproof ( IP 57 waterproof up to 30 minutes at a depth of 3 feet). Play back sound quality is really nice. NFC Pairing is easy too. Great option and cheaper than Sony walkman and Jlab.
This is a pair I eventually purchased, because of their solid behind-the-ear fit joined together with adaptable wire around the over of the head. The design is nice from looking. Also a good choice for working out, running. I knew my father had great encounters with a solitary ear Jabra Bluetooth headset. He reports an amazing solace, sound quality, and isn’t hesitant to drop these in the jacuzzi once in briefly. These earphones have great battery life, easy paring with NFC, remote run and outline, yet a few clients didn’t like the fit or sound quality. I wasn’t equipped to discover them in a store to go for, yet they’re exceedingly marked down at online retailers.
- Comfort – It’s fairly comfortable for waterproof bluetooth headphones and did not make my ears sore unlike other headphone. Make sure that you have adjusted and secured the headphone with the earhooks so that it won’t fall off during dynamic activity.
- Sound Quality – Decent sound quality. Good for those who are not picky but it could be louder.
- Battery Life – Battery lasted a good 3-4 hours while I was out during the day. Some may find it too short though.
Final Verdict: Pretty pricey and at the less price as the JLab earphones when not on sale. Between the JLab earphones and this one, I’d pick the JLab one especially over sound quality. I got these on sale and they’re pretty good ear phones for exercise especially running.
7. Photive PH-BTE70 Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds. Sweatproof Secure Fit Wireless (IPX6 rated)
- Design: 7
- Sound Quality: 8
- Features: 7.5
- Value: 7.0
This Headphones are very comfortable to wear for any active you are. But sweatproof only. The size are really convenience and music are great.
This is probably the best sport-oriented Bluetooth headphones for sweatproof devices. With an inexpensive price, this is nice design and comfortable fit, it also has the longest-lasting battery life.
- Comfort – The unique design on this headphone allows for more stability for active users. However, I’ve experienced the headphones to slip off a couple of times while running. I finally was able to figure out how to adjust them right and they fit perfectly and didn’t budge for a good time. I don’t recommend this for high activity sports though that involves a lot of movement because they tend to fall off.
- Sound Quality – Sound is great even at high and low volume. It’s clear and the bass sounds pretty awesome. No distortion when I’m skipping tracks or adjusting the volume.
- Battery Life – Battery lasted a good 6-7 hours and charges pretty quickly so I have no issues there.
Final Verdict: These are not waterproof bluetooth headphones, just water-resistant so don’t use them when swimming. The control on the headphones should be more sensitive to allow the earphones to stay put in your ears when using the controls. Overall, the sound quality is good but could use improvement when it comes to comfort and active wear.
8. Mpow® Swift Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Stereo Sweatproof Jogger (IPX4 Rated)
|Great for Price
Mpow® Swift Bluetooth 4.0
- Design: 7
- Sound Quality: 7.5
- Features: 7
- Value: 6.5
This sporting headphones are very well designed for more activity use. Great sound, and price is lower.
These are the most moderate choice I experienced, and they get incredible audits, too—yet, once more, they’re not exactly as waterproof as I’d like.
- Comfort – Takes some time for my ears to be accustomed to them but after a few days of using them they became super comfortable. However, they tend to come off my ears while I’m doing my usual rounds at the gym. They are not as stable as the other earphones and I have to readjust them several times.
- Sound Quality – Solid sound quality and strong bluetooth reception. I was able to listen to my tracks and the noise filtering system helps a lot in tuning out unwanted background noise so that’s a plus with this headset.
- Battery Life – Battery life is pretty good, about 6-7 hours. I used it for about three hours then my girlfriend used it for another 3 hours or so before it just went out.
Final Verdict: These are not the best when you do rigorous activities such as running but are good enough for stationary exercises such as the treadmill. This is the cheapest one on the list. This one is a good value for those who are looking for good ear phones for every day use.
JayBird Freedom Bluetooth Earbuds – Sweatproof Only – Retail Packaging (IPX4 Rated)
JayBird Freedom Bluetooth Earbuds
- Design: 7.5
- Sound Quality: 8.5
- Features: 7.5
- Value: 8.0
The price is on average, what you get is the nice design and great sound. Sweat-proof only.
First time I put this headset on, the overall fit and feel is very nice. Design for athlete. And this is also my favortive device in Bluetooth Headphones line. I like it all about design, price, comfort, sound quality, battery, Durability, Aesthetics, Connectivity, etc. In my opinion, all of it’s features are working perfectly. One cons of this Earbuds are the price, it’s expensive.
Watch the Video Of Jaybird Freedom On Youtube
Others IPX Rated headphones worth to try:
PLAY X STORE Sweat-Proof Sport Headphone (IPX4 Standard)
PLAY X STORE Waterproof Sport Headphone
- Design: 7.0
- Sound Quality: 8
- Features: 7
- Value: 7.5
Sweat-Proof Tested. Range and play hours are longer compare to other headphones.
I just got these PLAY X STORE Waterproof Sport Headphone a couple of weeks ago and I decided it’s the best time to do a review since I really like it.
Price: I got these headphones for $33.99 on sale at Amazon; the original price is $89.90, so I thought not bad, might as well try this. I was looking for some waterproof headphones that I can use for swimming and by far, this is on top of my list. These headphones are less than $100 but perform just as well, and even better than the ones I’ve bought for so much. But however this one is Sweat-proof only.
What is Waterproof Level? The IP Code, International Protection Marking?
IPX is used to determined the waterproof level of waterproof headphones. Buyer can see for more details and easier to understand than the marketing terms: “waterproof”. For more info, you can see the Ingress Protection Marking. If you must stay under the water for long, be sure to pick the most IPX level as you can, otherwise, IPX3,4 will do just fine for water and sweat protecting.
To make it more simple, here is the short table for IPX Rating:
|Rating Level||Water Protected|
|IPX2||Dripping water when tilted up to 15°|
|IPX4||Splashing of water|
|IPX6||Powerful water jets|
|IPX7||Immersion up to 1 m|
|IPX8||Immersion beyond 1 m|
Why you should trust me?
I am a triathlete and have been for two years. I am a very active person. I go to the gym, swim, bike and hike. I like to keep my adrenalin pumping. All those years I’ve also accumulated a number of headphones. I am not an audiophile, but I do know how to appreciate good music. What I’m looking for are headphones that are durable, versatile, and can keep up with me during my activities. I’ve had my share of experiences with headphones from good to bad. Some headphones lasted years, others only a few days. I’ve had headphones ranging from less than $50 to over a $100. What I can say is that it isn’t really about the price, but the performance that matters to me.
I’ve had $30 headphones that lasted for months and $100 headphones that lasted just a few weeks. That’s why I’m smarter now when it comes to choosing my headphones, especially the ones I use for swimming. There are a good number of waterproof headphones out there, but can they perform as well as the companies claim they do? That’s why I started writing my own honest and unbiased reviews for people who are torn in choosing the right headphones, especially for activewear.
How I picked the headphones for the review
If you are wondering how I picked these headphones for review, it’s not just at random. I had to choose between over 50 different headphones before selecting any one. First, I had to take into consideration the price. Many people don’t want to buy headphones that are priced beyond $100, so I looked into waterproof headphones that were on sale. I wanted to review budget-friendly headphones that are of good quality. There are a couple of headphones on sale at Amazon right now, so it’s easier to narrow down your search.
Second, is the product versatile and durable? I am looking for waterproof headphones, so I have to disregard water-resistant ones. Waterproof and water-resistant are different, so take note of that. Are they also good enough for activewear, say when you are working out at the gym or hiking? Also with Bluetooth headphones, are they only for listening? Or can you take calls with them? How far is the range of the Bluetooth?
Third is comfort, many people have different ear shapes, so you have to consider the design of the product and the ear pads. Do they offer ear pads in different sizes? You can see it in the manufacturer’s description; most of them offer different ear pads with their headphones. Then there’s the sound quality. As I’ve said, I’m not an audiophile but I do listen to music. I can tell if the headphones deliver crappy quality compared to those who have great listening quality. I am no expert in this field, but I will give my honest opinion on every product. The ones listed above are just my opinion, but to choose the best waterproof earphones and earbuds, you should consider one of these brands. In case you’re searching for a way to carry your LifeProof phone case, make sure to look at our Mounts section stocked with iPhone armbands, cinch cuts, bicycle mounts and more.
Check out also our reviews of newest product here : Best Waterproof Bluetooth Headphones in 2016
Looking for others waterproof products: Top 5 Best Bluetooth Shower Speakers Under $50 in 2016
Our previous picked:
– Matone Sports Waterproof Sweat Proof Headphone Wireless APT-X Bluetooth 4.0 Music Stereo Headset Earbud , $31.99.
– Levin Sweat-proof Bluetooth Sports Headset With Earhook for Sports Running Gym Hiking Jogger APT-X , $31.99
JLab Epic Bluetooth 4.0
Other reviewed headphones:
Brainwavz S0 IEM Noise Isolating Headphones is one of the finest Isolating headphones by Brainwavz, built carefully with great design and quality. If you must looking for the Isolating, this is one of the best one, however, if you looking for the regular headphones, S0 IEM seem to be the second options only. To me, I was really impressed with the sound bass, keep the music flow into you.
Zivigo ZV 600 Lightweight Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds is a new version of Bluetooth headphones by Zivigo, the price is fair and lower than the other with same features and performance. Wearing is comfortable even if you play for a long time. Sound is good, and battery lasts long time than other, even more than the time my phone has. However, the earbuds is little small.
MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones is best if you are looking for the decent isolate noise headphones, let’s take a example, if you are walking out with this In-Ear Headphones on, you won’t hear anything else except for the playing music, it could be dangerous though to not notice the other things. This are comfortable to wear for long time, the wire is firmly and hardly moving around.