Launched early in October 2014, the GoPro HERO4 Silver Edition camera is among the three new line of GoPro sturdy cameras built for action and extreme sports. There’s the regular HERO camera, the HERO4 Black edition and the HERO4 Silver. However, the silver edition is the first in line to feature a built-in touch display that offers extra convenience when framing shots and reviewing content – just tap and swipe the screen and you’re all set.
The HERO4 Silver produces precise and realistic videos, capturing at 1080p60 and 720p120, adding a 12MP photo shoot at an astounding 30 frames per second. Its breakthrough features include HiLight Tag, which enables you to mark significant shots for easy playback, editing and sharing – as well as QuikCapture that lets you to power on the unit and start recording from only a single button press. It is waterproof to 40 meters or 131 feet and has a built-in WiFi + Bluetooth.
>> Buy on Amazon <<
GoPro HERO4 Silver Edition Details and Features
- Built-In Touch Display: Frame your shots and easily adjust settings. Review videos and photos with so much ease.
- Improved Camera Control: Advanced and new dedicated button enables quick access to camera settings while its simplified menus make navigating settings easier than ever.
- Fast, Powerful Photo Capture: Shoots high-quality 12MP photos at speeds of up to 30 fps.
- Built-In WiFi + Bluetooth: Delivers enhanced connectivity to the GoPro App, along with a Smart Remote
- Durable + Waterproof to 131′ (40m): Designed to withstand extreme environments and conditions.
- Wearable + Mountable: Enables immersive self-capture during your favorite activities.
- Compatible with all GoPro Mounts: 60+ mounts and accessories – and counting – for capturing a wide variety of perspective and activities.
- GoPro App + Software: Control your camera remotely. View and share your content. Easily create stunning GoPro-style videos.
- Protune – Now for Video + Photos: Cinema-quality capture and manual control of color, ISO limit, exposure and more.
- Night Photo Lapse: Customizable exposure settings up to 30 seconds for single and Time Lapse Photos.
- Auto Low Light: Automatically adjusts frame rates for optimal low-light performance.
- High-Performance Audio: The new audio system captures clear-cut, high fidelity sound and almost double the dynamic range.
- Ultra Wide-Angle Glass Lens: Allows an engaging and immersive footage of you and your background.
- Selectable FOV: Three FOV settings – Ultra-Wide, Medium and Narrow – all of which enables a broad range of perspectives.
- HiLight Tag: Tag important moments while recording for easy playback, editing, and sharing.
- QuikCapture: Automatically power on and capture footage with a press of a single button
- SuperView: Seize the world’s most immersive wide-angle field of view.
GoPro HERO4 Silver Edition In-Depth Review – Pros and Cons
- GoPro Hero4 Silver Edition’s key details and features say it all – what you see is what you get. On the brighter note, this edition shows greater improvement in terms of transitions between grim light and shadows – producing less faded and more dynamic images than the Hero3+.
- One of the silver edition’s top features includes its touchscreen display that allows framing and reviewing shots more effortless. Compared with the previous models, you need to attach your camera to a detachable display or connect it to a smart phone. It is well-appreciated by most reviewers and users because of this advantage, making it stands out among the other GoPro Hero models.
- Its built-in screen not only makes playback much easier, but its positioning also brings out an easy and natural-feeling to frame any shots you desire. The touchscreen was very responsive as well. It doesn’t lag as well as reacts quickly and precisely to presses.
- The Menu system is an ease-to-use and faster to navigate – no need to scroll through the menu, choose a desired setting and exit, then do the process again and again. It is very user-friendly even for starters.
- The LCD takes little power, which is really a plus point. For underwater sports, even when the screen is turned on the whole time, it doesn’t affect the battery life – capturing incredible underwater footages up to almost two hours.
- While all GoPro models come with various mounts and accessories, the silver includes three new housing backplates that fit perfectly on the camera’s touchscreen. One has an open back for ordinary dry usage. The other is fully waterproof, but doesn’t allow touchscreen capability. And the last is a waterproof case that has a touch capability, but can only be used to three meters.
- It offers a maximum of 1080p HD resolution that can reach 60fps, capturing slow-motion sequences, which goes far beyond the expectation of any sport-photography enthusiast. More so, the sharpness of images has definitely improved.
- The advanced imaging comes with a 12MP sensor and a lens – both made specifically to shoot in low light situations. It also features electronic video stabilization capability and motion-compensated temporal filtering – both of which produces spotless image quality.
- Through the remote viewfinder playback, you can actually playback in real-time what was being recorded earlier. You can also highlight important moments – not necessitating to view every footage back just to have the good one.
- Protune is such a brilliant feature. It offers a wide array of flexibility for a video editing specialist. It makes images and video look much better by allowing more color grading.
- The structure and build quality is another plus point to add on all the beautiful improvements showcased by the silver edition. Specially when used with the casing, the camera can still look brand new even after being submerged underwater, immersed in dirt and covered with mud, and even when dropped from relatively high places.
- In case you own a Hero3, don’t expect its battery to be compatible with your new Hero4 because the latter’s battery doesn’t fall at the back, rather into the bottom. Although most accessories of Hero3 and Hero3+ work smoothly with the Hero4, it can be terribly depressing in the name of advancement that the batteries don’t.
- More so, there’s no improvement made on the Hero4 silver edition’s battery life – just like the other models released within this line. You get to capture key moments in your adventure for around two hours only and your down.
- The camera can be tiny compared with other action cams in the market, especially without its casing. The lens seems to protrude a bit so you must be extra careful carrying or using it without the housing. However, the camera is really proven to be robust and solid.
The special feature of GoPro HERO4 Silver Edition
You can attach the GoPro HERO4 to your bicycle with traveling, isn’t it beautiful?
GoPro HERO4 VS HERO3
The Photos Taken From GoPro HERO4 Silver Edition
Overall, the GoPro HERO4 Silver Edition is great for high-end action enthusiasts who want pro-quality cam footage and for everyone who desires to upgrade their old GoPro cams to the silver edition. The silver integrates versatility and exceptional capture with the handiness of built-in touch display. While it may not be the most attractive action cam at the present, it brings out by far the most outstanding performance. And the Hero4 Silver Edition continues to uphold GoPro’s supremacy.
Considering all of its improved features at a cost of only $399, GoPro Hero4 Silver Edition is absolutely worth buying for.