GoPro HERO3 Product Description
The GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition is the successor of the market-leading GoPro HERO3. The GoPro Hero series are sturdy little HD camcorders especially designed for extreme conditions or sports. Although the HERO3+ is 20% smaller and lighter than its predecessor, the actual size, weight and design of the camera remain nearly identical to the previous version – except of the + symbol added beside number three on the camera’s front.
Because the exterior lens has upgraded to an optic, it is said to deliver better quality and produce sharper video. HERO3+ Black Edition is considered the most advanced GoPro because of its increased battery life, speedier Wi-Fi, sharper lens and compatibility with all GoPro mounts and accessories.
Details and Features:
- It is ultra small (3.2x2x3 inches) and lightweight (1.5 pounds).
- It has a built-in Wi-Fi that supports straight connection to your computer or wireless remote and operates via iOs or Android app.
- The image processor works 12 times faster.
- It has a 12 MP image sensor with twice better low light performance
- It has a 33% sharper ultra wide angle glass lens.
- It has auto low light mode that automatically adjusts the frame rate for stunning low-light performance.
- It features a new option called SuperView, which allows shooting at 1080p or 720p footage – providing a wider angle while avoiding fisheye distortion at the same time.
- Battery life is improved by about 30%.
- It has a high-performance audio.
- It is waterproof with a 40 meter limit.
- It has available ports for micro HDMI, mini USB, and for other optional accessories (3.5 mm stereo mic adaptor, composite A/V adapter).
- It supports microSD cards up to 64GB.
- It features a top-mounted lever which provides greater security for most activities.
- It includes a variety of mounts and a wide range of accessories.
GoPro HERO3 Plus Unboxing
GoPro HERO3+ Review:
- GoPro HERO3+ has enhanced image quality compared with HERO3. Because of its upgraded lens quality, you can enjoy a clearer footage with reduced distortion, as well as reduced image artifacts
- The SuperView mode can capture the world’s widest angle perspective that results to an excellent footage of yourself and your background. The new video mode doesn’t only offer a liquid-smooth slow motion playback but also enable a high-resolution and cinema-quality capture.
- It has an auto low light mode that auto-adjusts the frame rate during low-light situations.
- Its well-refined audio performance can catch even the most subtle sounds. More so, its advanced wind-noise reduction technology can make and keep the sounds much clearer even during high-speed activities.
- It has a longer (Li-ion) battery life which means you can take lengthy shots and record a lot more footage along with various configurations – without worrying about the camera dying. Unlike with the original HERO3, shooting hours could drop considerably when shooting for higher frame rate modes, when Wi-Fi is being used and when GoPro App or LCD screen is turned on. Moreover, the new battery pack gives an extensive range for streaming preview.
- The GoPro App allows you to have more control in your camera and the content it has. You can easily view photos, preview videos repeatedly and share your content in various social media platforms.
- It has a faster Wi-Fi that makes speedier video play backs, as well as easier and quicker photo and video sharing. With the additional Wi-Fi remote you can control up to 50 cameras from 180m distance. Furthermore, you can conveniently revamp your GoPro Hero3+ using your tablet, smartphone and the GoPro App.
- Aside from the camera itself, the waterproof housing and the Wi-Fi remote, HERO3+ includes numerous beneficial accessories:
- quick release buckle
- vertical quick release buckle
- 1 curved + 1 flat adhesive mount
- 3-way pivot arm
- USB charging cable
- Objects taken at a 10ft distance and lesser look sharper, but those taken further away become blurry. GoPro might have forgotten to mention that the improved quality image was only for objects up to 10ft away.
- Many users have complained about the camera’s high-contrast effect – resulting to some lost details in shadows. However, a firmware update can resolve this problem if GoPro decides to take action.
- Although the HERO3+ housing can go 40m underwater, the previous case has a 60 meter limit.
- Photo and video sharing and access are not available on Windows Phone – only on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android devices.
- There is no built-in preview screen, which makes the LCD screen to be an optional extra. Other minor issues are the longer time it takes to navigate the menu and the need of USB adapter for the external microphone.
The Comparison between GoPro versions
Photos taken by GoPro HERO3+
Although GoPro HERO3+ didn’t create a big leap as the Hero3, its improvements are still worthy of appreciation – mainly on the part of the casing, battery life, Wi-Fi and the lens. HERO3+ is not only easy to use but offers a wide array of mounting options and incredible advanced feature, allowing you to capture high-quality and captivating footage. While it can be relatively expensive compared with the original Hero3, the updates and solutions are worth the extra dollars.
Regardless of the new look it has, which most competitors can beat out, the new HERO3+ surely deserves the price considering its complete evolution among the other extreme sports camera product line – not to mention the additional accessories and better options. Overall, it is the quality of the footage that acts as the ultimate decider. So, GoPro Hero3+ is most likely the best choice for extreme sports.