Sharpeners are an essential school and office equipment, the presence of a sharpener has been constant for me from childhood to adulthood. I am a teacher and I teach nursery and grade school students, my husband is an architect. We need a high quality and heavy duty sharpener that is child friendly as well as durable and last a long time. Sharpeners are serious business for us and it’s really important that these sharpeners deliver good results.
I’ve had my fair share of sharpeners from the manual to electronic ones. I’ve scoured Amazon for their best electronic sharpeners and I’ve come up with three.
All that’s written here is my opinion on each of the product after I have proven and tested them several times in different settings. I bought these sharpeners with my own money as to not have any biases with my opinion. I rated these sharpeners according to my experience with them; I used them one at a time so I can really appreciate them.
These are the results for the best electric sharpeners available on Amazon.
|BRAND||PICTURE||PRICE ON AMAZON||DIMENSIONS||WEIGHT||FEATURES|
|School Smart Electric Vertical Pencil Sharpener||Price: $31.00||6.5 x 5 x 7.2 inches||2.6 pounds||· Heavy-duty motor |
· Helical steel blade
|X-Acto School Pro Heavy-Duty Electric Sharpener||Price: $19.88||8.5 x 8 x 5.7 inches||3.4 pounds||· Quiet |
· Heavy duty motor
|School Smart Electric Heavy-Duty Pencil Sharpener||Price: $26.00||9 x 5.2 x 4.2 inches||2.6 pounds||· Auto pencil stop |
· Makes perfect tip every time
The best option
1. School Smart Electric Vertical Pencil Sharpener – The School Smart Electric Pencil Sharpener is one of the top sharpeners in Amazon. I looked at the reviews for this sharpener and based on the testimonies it seems like a promising sharpener. I bought this sharpener not based on the reviews but I wanted to try it out for myself and see if it really does work well like in the reviews. I would say that I am happy with the purchase and it is indeed a great sharpener for different settings.
School Smart Electric Vertical Pencil Sharpener
- Price: For the price, I would say that it’s worth it. The original price is $33.32 but it’s on sale in Amazon for $31.77, I bought two so I was able to avail the free shipping promo for this sharpener. Transaction and delivery was fast and smooth.
- Features: It contains a heavy duty motor and a helical steel blade which gives your pencils a sharp point and smooth taper. I would say that it gives your pencils that narrow point and a very smooth taper which is nice. My husband likes this sharpener the best since amongst the three he gets the narrowest point with this sharpener.
- My thoughts: Amongst the three in the list, I find the School Smart Electric Vertical Pencil Sharpener to be the best one. I wanted a good pencil sharpener that’s reliable, sturdy (especially in my nursery class) and affordable without it being too cheap. I bought two of these sharpeners, one for home and one for my classes. I would say that this sharpener works great; I always get a nice point in all of the pencils that I sharpened. I don’t want my nursery kids to use it by themselves so I always assist them. I would say that it’s a good, heavy duty sharpener. Imagine a class full of toddlers and kindergarteners who always want their pencils nice and sharp before every class.
I have sharpen all kinds of pencils with this electric sharpen and the results as above , all are excellent long point.
On the downside, this pencil sharpener made a bit noise that’s why I like to make it so sharpen pencils during break time or before class starts as to not disturb the kids while they are doing their school work. The sound like a grinding sound but it does handle the task well at hand. The pencils sharpened with this sharpener always have pointed tips with smooth tapered sides.
The runner up
2. X-Acto School Pro Heavy-Duty Electric Sharpener
|The Runner Up
X-Acto School Pro Heavy-Duty Electric Sharpener
- Design: 8.0
- Performance: 8.5
- Sharp Point: 8.0
- Value: 8.5
- Price: This is perhaps the most expensive one on the list, the original price is $57.99 but luckily it was on sale for $29.54. I don’t think I would purchase this sharpener at its original price; it seems too pricey for a pencil sharpener. For $50 I could already buy much more than just a sharpener.
- Features: The company describes this sharpener to be designed for classroom use with its school pro features, quiet and heavy-duty motor. The sharpener can be used on wood, recycled pencils and composite. I can testify that it is indeed classroom friendly; it’s quite and has all the pencils have a nice point and can accommodate both regular and thick pencils. I like the large shavings receptacle so I don’t have to empty it every now and then, just at the end of my classes.
- My thoughts: I think this x-acto electric pencil sharpener is good enough for classroom use but my husband thinks so otherwise, he finds that the points with each pencil sharpened is not enough. I think it’s due to the auto stop feature that limits the sharpness of the pencil. He has used this several times but goes back to our old sharpener saying that it makes a better job making his pencils and color pencils narrower. Well, I am not that picky when it comes to my pencils are long that it has a sharp point that allows me to write, my kids also don’t think that there’s a difference. However, if you use this for professional purposes such as sharpening your pencils, color materials and want that narrow and precise tip when you draw or create your outlines then this sharpener might not be enough for you.
To contact support at : xacto.com
Also a good option
School Smart Electric Heavy-Duty Pencil Sharpener
- Design: 9.5
- Performance: 8.5
- Sharp Point: 8.5
- Value: 8.5
3. School Smart Electric Heavy-Duty Pencil Sharpener – I have two sharpeners from the same company so what makes this different from the first one? Where there are several differences from this and the vertical pencil sharpener which one the first place in your list.
- Price: If the price is right then I’d buy a sharpener as long as it does its job and will last a long time, especially for classroom use. This sharpener retails at $33.32 but can be bought for $29.65 for a limited time in Amazon. I would say it’s quite okay for the price.
- Features: Like the previous two, this has an auto pencil stop but depending on how you want your pencils to be sharpened some might not be satisfied with the results. On the other hand, it’s a heavy duty pencil sharpener which is ideal for home, office and school use. The design is great; I like the wide footprint design to avoid tip overs. When you are in a class full of children who want all their pencils pointy then sometimes the sharpener can tip over and spill its contents on the floor, but this sharpener doesn’t. By the way this is an “electronic” pencil sharpener; it has a helical steel blade and motor very much like other School Smart sharpener brands. To avoid overheating, the sharpener has a reset device.
- My thoughts: A good heavy duty sharpener that’s easy to use, both adults and children can use it with ease. Mine didn’t overheat even with the constant flow of children wanting their coloring materials and pencils sharpened during art and recreations. This is also from School Smart, unlike the first sharpener that does this loud buzzing noise when you sharpen, this is one is relatively quiet and best electric pencil sharpener for classroom.
As I have said I’m not picky with sharpeners but my husband is, he would rate this sharpener four out of five saying that the tips are not sharp enough for him. This is due to the auto stop feature wherein the sharpener automatically stops when the pencils have achieved that ideal point for them. Good enough for me and the kids, not so much for my husband.
How we picked up these sharpeners:
I used to have those really small sharpeners that you can hold in your hand and keep in your pencil case. At school, I always wanted to have that sharpener that teachers keep in their desk, I thought it was just for design at first but realized that I like the pencils sharpened with those sharpeners better than the one that I had. When I was able to save money, I instantly bought a sharpener, not the electronic ones though and it was the best present for me at that time. Those were the times, right now there are electronic pencil sharpeners, imagine my surprise when I first found out about them a few years back.
I have mentioned in the beginning that I am a preschool and kindergarten teacher, you know what it’s like to have a room full of children. Since I am handling children, we basically always use pencils and coloring materials for writing and art.
My husband is an architect and with that he has tons of pencils and coloring materials that require sharpening, unlike me he is the fussier one but I understand it. Precision of every line is important in his job. When he is not using his techy devices he would prefer working with paper and pencil when creating drafts for his projects. He would always comment that his pencil isn’t sharp or the tip is not narrow enough when he sharpens them using the different sharpeners that we bought but I take his word for it, he knows what he is talking about after all.
When choosing the right “candidates”, we decided to base it on these criteria: price, features, design, reliability and durability. Well, sharpeners should be a good investment but that doesn’t mean it has to be crazy expensive so we picked up some good yet budget friendly sharpeners to compare.
For the features, since I am working at a school setting, I would like it to be suitable for the school environment. Less noise, the quieter it is then the better to avoid distractions during class hours; it should also be able to sharpen pencils easily and easy for the children to operate. For my husband, he is looking for a nice sharpener that will give him that narrow tip for his materials and will last a long time.
When it comes to design I would prefer the sharpeners to not be tilted easily, wide base and has support, a good grip and an ample space for the receptacle. Since I work in nursery and kindergarten, I would want a “child-friendly” sharpener; still I always supervise my children when they want to sharpen their pencils since things could go wrong. Also a sharpener that can accommodate all pencil sizes from the regular to the thick ones. These sharpeners are electric, so another thing I am looking for is that the sharpeners should not over heat over time. Since the blade plays a big part in sharpeners, the steel blades should be sharp and give a smooth taper to the pencils and other materials that needed sharpening.
Lastly, there’s the reliability and durability. I am looking for a pencil sharpener that can take several beatings from the children. I once had a good sharpener which broke after it fell once and it was a waste of money. Since it’s inevitable for it to fall a couple of times during classes; children can be quite energetic after all, a durable pencil sharpener should do the job. I would always take precaution with sharpeners especially in the classroom setting, I like electric sharpeners since they are very easy to use and operate.
School Smart Electric Vertical Pencil Sharpener