Why choose Skullcandy?
Skullcandy is a brand that’s instantly recognizable by many. It’s one of those things that when people see it they already have an impression about it. You might have noticed many celebrities wearing Skullcandy products, aside from the great sound you also have a great accessory.
The company is based in Utah and has been marketing audio devices and accessories since 2003. Aside from MP3s, Skullcandy offers a wide range of headphones and Outdoor speakers from sports, gaming to casual listening. This is a company that has built its reputation on style, quality and reliability. In 2008, the company was awarded the “world’s coolest ear bud” by Fortune Magazine and several other awards and recognition.
How we chose the headphones
These headphones were handpicked by us and all of them were used at least a month before we gave a review. When choosing a headphone there are several aspects that we consider before picking them such as the price, design, comfort, sound and durability.
- Skullcandy headphone prices range from less than $20 to more than a $100 dollars. They offer budget friendly heaphones for the casual listeners but they also offer headphones for audiophiles.
- Skullcandy headphones are known for their sleek and cool designs it was hard to choose one from their wide array of headphones. Each headphone are carefully assembled together using the finest materials. Skullcandy doesn’t only think about the design but the added features make them a favorite by many.
- All the headphones I have tried from Skullcandy are comfortable but I had to choose one for each category. Their over ear headphones use soft foam that doesn’t irritate the ears. Their in-ear headphones make use of soft silicon to ensure comfort for long wear.
- Skullcandy is in pair with the more expensive brands when it comes to sound quality. They are a good option for those who are in a budget but want good looking yet high quality headphones.
- The brand not only offers the usual music headphones but headphones for sports. Skullcandy is well known in the sports area for their headphones. They have designed durable and reliable headphones especially for sports with additional features such as being waterproof, noise reduction, wireless and more.
Every year Skullcandy improves and evolves their products and brand, more and more people prefer Skullcandy to other brands with their unique yet edgy style perfect for any age, gender, lifestyle and have headphones that will fit your budget.
So , What are the best skullcandy headphones in the market? Here are some reviews for the best Skullcandy headsets on different categories:
1. Best Skullcandy Earbuds
Color: Spaced Out/Orange Iridium/Afterburner
Best Skullcandy Earbuds
Skullcandy Smokin Bud 2 In-ear Headphones
My experience: For the record I would not say that I am a music guru or audiophile but I do listen to a lot of music. I usually listen to music through my speakers at home but whenever I am in a public space or work out I listen using my ear buds. The Skullcandy Smokin Bud 2 are great ear buds for active people since it fits snuggly in the ears and doesn’t hurt or make my ears uncomfortable after several hours of use.
These ear buds have that flat cable so there are minimal tangles whenever you put in in your bag.
Sound wise, the music and audio is good and does not distort. All the highs and lows are on point, especially the bass. I love how clear and precise the music is, it’s like being surrounded by sound whenever I put these earphones on.
Build quality is decent enough for the price; the 3.5mm audio jack is angled at 90 degrees so it sits on my ears perfectly. The Skullcandy Smokin Bud 2 come with two pairs of ear buds, small and large and are made of soft rubber.
You can also use these to answer calls since it has a built in mic so you don’t need to reach out to your phone whenever there’s a call.
- These headphones are cheap, it’s less than $20 but it surpasses even those $100 headphones that claim to give you the best sound experience.
- Highs, lows and midtones are all on point. The bass is so rich but doesn’t distort especially on high volume.
- Cords are semi flat which lessens tangles even when you place it on your bag.
- Durable and high quality earphones
- It’s very comfortable ear buds even after several hours.
- Comes with a mic so you can use it to answer calls.
- I really like these headphones but I would love them more if they are wireless.
2. Best Skullcandy Over Ear Wireless Headset
My Experience: If you are looking for wireless blutetooth headphones then the Skullcandy Hesh 2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Headphones is a great option for those who want to spend less and save more. A lot of bluetooth headphones are overpriced but this headset is cheap yet still good quality. It’s simple enough and not too flashy but perfect for those looking for great budget headphones.
They are not bass heavy so if you are looking for one that’s more on the bass then this will disappoint you, however, I do not find the audio or music too distorted but just okay enough to listen to, nothing special. The headphones give a clean sound and they are very comfortable to wear. These headphones can accommodate and cover big ears.
These are well constructed and are made of hard, matte plastic. Syncing via bluetooth is a breeze as it synced with all my bluetooth devices without a cinch. You can use this headphone to answer your calls since it has a mic feature, just one push of the button and you can answer your calls.
As for the distance, I was able to connect with it from my living room to my bedroom which is a good 15-20 meters away. The connection is not choppy and had no problems with connection as long as you are within range.
- Wireless Bluetooth headphones that are perfect for active users.
- Can cover big ears so they are great for people who have big ears.
- Noise reduction feature works great to tune out unnecessary environmental sound.
- Snug and comfortable fit.
- Bluetooth sync works like a charm and was able to connect to all my devices without any issues.
- Bluetooth range is also good, like 15-20 meters from your device.
- Hands free music experience for people who are on the move.
- Comes with a mic for answering calls, no need to reach out to your phone since the headset has a button that you can press.
- These headphones are uber cheap! Imagine for less than $100 you can get high quality headphones from Skullcandy.
- Sound quality is good enough for me but for other users they might find something lacking with the bass. These headphones are not heavy on the bass.
– Other option
Skullcandy Crusher Headphones
If your batteries are still going strong then you will notice that the bass in your music will be clearer and stronger. These have a rubbery feel to them and have a noise isolating feature so they’re best to use for the gym and it’s also light weight so they won’t be a hassle during workouts.
3. Best Skullcandy In-ear Sport Bluetooth
Our Best Pick
Skullcandy XTfree In-Ear Sport Bluetooth Wireless Earbuds
Overall, my experience with these headphones has been good; from the sound to comfort. This is one of the best headsets that Skullcandy has made. The design is great; the headphones are comfortable when used even after several hours in my ears. The ear buds might look intimidating and uncomfortable but when you wear it, it feels comfortable and it doesn’t hurt at all. I love that these are wireless so I don’t need to worry about cords tangling or being yanked when I work out. These headphones stay in place and it did not slip but I had to readjust to get the best fit for the ear buds.
This is high quality music equipment that casual and audiophiles will surely enjoy. Clear, precise sound; the bass sounds great and the treble is also good. I like the mid tones, there is no distortion even in high volume.
Bluetooth reception is strong and the headphones can connect to all my devices including my phone, tablet and laptop. Syncing only takes a second and after that you can enjoy your music. Battery life is decent, about 5-6 hours of continuous use which is more than enough time for me to do my errands and finish my workout.
- Secure fit for those who are working out. It doesn’t come off even when I do my work outs as long as plug it in properly in my ears.
- Syncing is fast, like 2-3 seconds with my devices from phone to laptop both Apple and Android devices .
- Wireless so you don’t have to worry about tangling cords or yanked out wires during your work out.
- Has noise reduction, cancel out surrounding sound and enjoy your music
- Battery life is great, 3-4 hours of using it and still going strong.
- Music and audio is clean and precise including the bass.
- These are the best Skullcandy headphones for sports and active wear since it’s so comfortable and light weight.
- These are my favorite earphones to bring with me to the gym, so far I have no complaints about them.
– Other option
Skullcandy Smokin’ Buds 2 In-Ear Bluetooth
These are great in ear bluetooth headphones with a sleek design and good build. The headphones are made of hard plastic, the design of these headphones is intact from the cord to the ear buds, and everything is connected as it should be.
Comfort wise, these are very comfortable to wear and not a hassle when you are doing your tasks since they make use of bluetooth to connect to your phone. No stubborn cords that get tangled every second, so it’s a plus just for that.
For the sound, these headphones have a deep and rich bass which is above average for me at least. Both audio and music is clear and doesn’t sound mumbled or distorted in low, high or mid tones.
4. Best Skullcandy Headphones for Gaming
Our Best Pick
Skullcandy SLYR Gaming Headset
These are superior gaming headset that combines awesome style, great sound and quality. I am not a pro gamer but I’ve played several games growing up from the PlayStation to PC games. I am not too picky when it comes to game sounds but I do appreciate good and clear sound coming from my headphones. The Skullcandy SLYR Gaming headset is a great addition to any gamer’s accessories. Personally, I think the sound is above average. I know many of us play with the sound on full volume since it does help with the game’s atmosphere. With these headphones on you can hear every click of a gun, a bullet passing through, footsteps and the chit chat of other game characters. The sounds are clear, crisp and almost realistic.
I also like that this has a noise isolating feature so you can focus on your game or whatever it is that you are doing. The ear cuffs are large enough to cover my ears but also comfortable for wear.
This headset also comes with a mic so it’s great for multiplayer games so you can talk to your friends and don’t need to type in the chat box.
- Amazing experience with this headset since you can clearly hear all the sound. It’s like being in the game itself. You can hear bullets whizzing through and even those footsteps. Don’t go full volume though since in game music changes a lot, you might find it too loud.
- Comes with a mic so it’s great for online gaming when you are in a team. I can hear my team mates from the other side and they can hear me as well. No garbled up speech with these headphones.
- Comfortable and snug, the foam is soft.
- Sleek and cool design.
- These headphones are not only limited for gaming.
- I am no pro gamer but I sure love these headphones. I like how crisp the sound is from my game so I can appreciate it more. As for the cons, I have nothing but praise for these.
5. Best Skullcandy Headphones for Woman.
Color: Beige/ Maroon/ Floral
Our Best Pick
Skullcandy Knockout Floral
My Experience: If you want to have chic yet durable headphones that will turn heads then the pink Skullcandy Headphones Knockout Floral will definitely fit your style. The design is targeted for women with its combination of beige, maroon and floral designs on the headphones. If headphones have designer brands then this one would be like the Louis Vuitton of headphones.
The foam are made from memory foam to ensure ultimate comfort for the wearer, I was actually surprised by that since the last time I checked most memory foams are used for pillows and beds but Skullcandy had better use for it.
These headphones are also detachable so it won’t hinder your movements. What I also noticed about these headphones are that the acoustics are designed for women as well, not just the design. If guys like loud bass, then this one offers clean yet softer sound. The bass is good enough, the midtones are great and the lows are good. Sound quality wise, I bet more women will appreciate this.
Well I am not a fan of floral designs but my daughter and wife instantly loved it the first time they laid eyes on these so I bought each of them a pair to use.
- Amazing detail and design, the color really pops out and blends. Maroon, beige and floral for the women who like to rock but still look classy.
- These headphones have amazing sound quality. Rich sound, bass is great and trebles are all on point. No sound distortion low or high volume. Clean and softer sound.
- MY favorite part of these headphones is the memory foam ear cuffs. They are so comfortable I could wear them all day without hurting my ears.
- Price is a bit steep but with the design, style and features it’s all worth it.
- The acoustics for these headphones have been tweaked for women so men might notice a small difference with the sound especially the bass.
No matter what design or function you are looking for in a headset, Skullcandy has the perfect one for you. Their range of sports headsets is best buy for active people and athletes; from underwater headsets to hard core exercise, rest assured that these headphones can keep up with your energy.
Best Skullcandy Earbuds
Skullcandy Smokin Bud 2 In-ear Headphones